BBQ CHICKEN MARYLANDS
Hot plate liner | Basting pot and brush
4 whole chicken legs
½ cup Coriander leaves
1/3 cup cashew nuts, roughly chopped
1 small red chilli, sliced finely
1 onion roughly chopped
4 garlic cloves
5cm piece ginger, peeled and roughly chopped
2 small red chillies
8 cardamom pods
1 ½ tsp. turmeric powder
400ml coconut cream
1 tbsp. tamarind paste
2 tbsp. fish sauce
2 tsp. palm sugar
½ lime juice
- For the marinade, blend onion, garlic, ginger, chilli and cardamom in a food processor until a thick paste is formed. Then add turmeric, coconut milk, tamarind, fish sauce, palm sugar and lime juice and blend until smooth.
- Place the chicken legs into a large zip lock bag and add the marinade. Seal the bag tightly and massage the chicken through the marinade, coating all pieces. Rest in the fridge for least 4 hours or overnight.
- Trim a hot plate liner on your BBQ hot plate and preheat to a medium high heat. With tongs remove the chicken legs from the bag and onto the liner and cook for 10 minutes each side or until the juices run clear when the chicken is pierced. Remove from heat.
- With the remaining marinade, transfer the liquid into a metal basting pot and place on the BBQ. Bring it to the boil, stirring occasionally.
- To serve, placed the chicken on a platter and pour the hot marinade over the chicken. Garnish with scattered coriander leaves, chilli and cashews.